Below are resources that have helped us better understand our concerns, or that we’ve created to help others better understand them.
Last updated: Nov 16th, 2019
We continue to update add to this as the landscape changes.
Changes in Public Housing Policy
– NextGeneration NYCHA 2.0 Explained, JFAC-created resource
– What is Rad?! Explained, JFAC-created resource
– 2018| July 30: “The Promise and Peril of HUD’s RAD Program.” Shelterforce
- NOTE: We disagree with the main point of this article – that the answer to the issues with RAD is more oversight by HUD. We are anti-RAD through-and-through. However, this article offers a good overview of what RAD is and how it has effected residents.
– 2019 | Oct 10: Opinion: NYCHA’s NextGen Threatens More Harm than Hope, City Limits, Kristen Hackett
Changes in LIC and western Queens
– Changes in LIC Report: Examines changes in land prices recent housing and hotel development in relation to past and present rezonings of LIC.
– Jobs Report: Examines how LIC has been changing, gives overview of proposed LIC rezoning, addresses how the rezoning could affect the economic landscape in LIC and discusses the extent to which new jobs will go to local residents.
– A series of 70 maps of western Queens showing changes in population and housing from 2000 -2017, Recalibrating Queens, Kristen Hackett
– Changes in Context: A historical look at city-led development in LIC over the 20 years, and the consequences it has had for residents, Recalibrating Queens, Kristen Hackett
Community Land Trusts
– Miranova, Oksana. “How Community Land Trusts Can Help Address the Affordable Housing Crisis.” Jacobin, July 2019. https://jacobinmag.com/2019/07/community-land-trusts-affordable-housing.