The Justice For All Coalition, a grassroots group in western Queens, is hiring a part-time community organizer! Applications are due by July 31st, with priority given to applicants who apply by July 15th. Send questions and complete applications to Yvette and Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Justice for All Coalition (JFAC) formed in April of 2016 in Astoria / Long Island City to address concerns regarding overdevelopment and community needs like housing and jobs. While our roots, base, and leadership are in the local housing developments of Queensbridge, Ravenswood, Astoria and Woodside Houses, our group is diverse and has attracted local artists, small business owners and private market renters from western Queens. We work together to inform, educate, and organize the community to be proactive regarding zoning, development and other quality of life issues impacting our neighborhoods.
A Community Organizer will support the tenant leaders of the Justice For All Coalition with community organizing endeavors. Their main tasks involve supporting tenants with various aspects of this work:
Support with base-building in local public housing communities and western Queens more generally.
- Keep records and notes of all meetings and activities to help keep the group on track. The organizer should be keeping track of what needs to happen and what the next steps are.
- Maintain contact lists & progress notes.
Support outreach through management and participation (i.e. assign lists and help make calls if needed/possible).
- Organize tenant meetings when necessary. This may involve traveling to campuses for events, meetings and outreach.
- Rapid response to tenants’ repair needs.
- Ability to help tenant troubleshoot regarding repair needs, including MyNYCHA app
- Respond to gas outages when called.
- Support tenants in submitting formal letters of complaint using JustFix app.
Support in carrying out community-building and political education efforts in western Queens.
- Support tenant leaders in keeping track of development and policy updates.
- This may involve attending meetings and reporting back, or supporting tenants in attending and taking up that role.
- Meetings might include community board meetings, public meetings, other grassroots group and coalition meetings and more.
Support in taking collective action on issues they’re concerned about.
- Familiarity with tenants’ rights and strategies for political engagement is necessary.
- Familiarity with public housing, housing policy, urban development in New York City and New York State.
- Support tenants in forming, maintaining and mobilizing community partnerships, with elected officials, other organizations and grassroots groups when strategic.
- Organizers should be able to support tenants in developing and executing organizing plans related to specific issues.
- Someone who has a commitment to empowering BIPOC communities
- Willingness to learn digital platforms to coordinate with group, which may include: Google drive, Google calendar, Microsoft suite (ex. Word, Excel) and WhatsApp
- Attend Steering Committee meetings
- Communication & professionalism is essential; texts and emails should be responded to within 24 hours, though ASAP or by the end of each day is ideal.
- At least two years experience as a community organizer.
- Must be able to take direction from tenants and Steering Committee members and support them in carrying out their vision.
- Flexible on evenings and weekends
Our ideal candidate includes:
- Someone who has at least two years working as a community organizer in public housing communities
- Someone who lives or has lived in public housing; preferably in western Queens
- Bilingual – Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Bengali
- Familiar with above-listed digital platforms
- Doesn’t mind traveling a lot.
- Enjoys community events and outreach
- Part-time, 20 hours/week, $25,000/year
- Cover letter
- 3 References
- Additional portfolio material welcome.
Deadline for Application:
- Priority for Applicants that submit materials before July 15, 2022.
- Final deadline for applications: July 31, 2022.
Email complete applications to email@example.com.